Small Business marketing using Instagram
Instagram is an online mobile application that is used for sharing photos and videos. Instagram is following in the footsteps of Facebook and Twitter and has fast become a very popular social media tool. Instagram was originally developed so that people could apply different filters to photographs that they had taken on their mobile phones and would allow them to easily upload and share these photos with friends (or account followers) using the Instagram application. More recently video was introduced to Instagram it can now be uploaded, but Instagram video clips are limited to between 3 to 15 seconds long.
Why are businesses turning to Instagram?
- There are more than 300 million Instagram users worldwide.
- Approximately 70 million photos are uploaded per day.
- The account is ‘free’ to set up so there are low barriers to entry.
- It is a medium that allows for easy sharing of content 24 hours a day.
- What sort of success have businesses achieved using Instagram?
- Businesses such as Levis, L’oreal and hundreds of others have been able to use the tool to:
- To increase awareness of their products and services.
- To increase brand recognition.
- To showcase their community and pro bono work to inspire and attract prospective customers to engage with their product, service or brand.
- Run successful promotions, competitions instagram 增加流量 and giveaways.
Small Business marketing success with Instagram
Instagram appears to be particularly popular with product based businesses due to its visual nature. Many businesses that are product based such as clothing, jewellery, make up or even food based business have achieved success using Instagram. This is because the application allows for photos to be posted and shared of people either wearing or using these products. For instance, a food manufacturer might post photos of someone cooking with, sharing a meal, or entertaining friends using their food products. This success is not exclusive to big brands as many small businesses have been able to leverage the power of Instagram to engage their clients. For instance, Melbourne based café The Kettle Black had over 45,800 followers in March 2016 they have achieved this through the use of attractive photographs of their food and images of cafe meals that Instagram users would be attracted to, as well as using hashtags that foodies, food bloggers and other Instagram users would be interested in or search for.
Bloggers, social media stars and media personalities have amassed a loyal following online with hundreds and sometimes thousands of people following their Instagram accounts. This ‘influencer’ group means that there are several eyeballs there ready to see your product or service. The audience has already been built for you. The engagement has already been formed and tapping into this by getting your product uploaded onto their Instagram feed or featured by a blogger or popular Instagram account holder will help you to grow your audience more quickly. Therefore taking the time to identify key ‘influencers’ in your industry and how you can tap into this is important.